Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cryosphere Introduction

Essential Question: How are Arctic sea-ice, climate, and culture all connected?

 image from nsidc.org

Explain:  What new learning or reflections have you taken from this module?

As a Earth Science teacher most of the information in the module is not new to me.  However, the way it was presented was.  For example the Teacher Domain videos on Shishmareff, and on hunting got me thinking about how the science is played out in the daily lives of people.  The following image is of Shishmareff by NOAA.  I had the opportunity to visit this community many years ago when I was still a biologist.  These images are amazing.


I have had an informal conversation with my students and the word cryosphere seems to be new to them.  As I was researching this topic I found this diagram on the Global Greenhouse Warming website.  I plan to use this with my students to show them how important our cyrosphere is.



This class has really taught me how important it is to apply the scientific concepts that we are learning to the lives of the people in our schools, communities, state, and world.


Extend:  How might you use this week's information and resources in your lessons?  What other resources can you share?

To begin, I really like the career connection video with Steve McLean.  I think the more role models, and career paths that we can show our students the better.  This made me want to research the local elders and natives here in Juneau and bring them into the class.  We have many wonderful people resources here in Juneau that would be happy to come in if we only remember to call upon them.  It also got me to go back and look at some of the other people we have learned about during this course.  One of my favorites is the geologist Richard Glenn.

While I was learning about the cryosphere I found this great website called national snow and ice data center.  There are lessons on what the cryosphere is as well as studying it.  I was also excited because this is from the University of Colorado where I grew up.  Next time I am in Boulder I will have to go and visit them.

Another resource that I found was a video tour of the cryoshpere on the NASA website. The education link in the nasa.gov site has many other place to explore.

http://www.igospartners.org/cryosphere.htm

Evaluate:  How useful, insightful, or relevant are this module's information and resources?

Although I have not necessarily taught about the cryosphere I think this information is very relevant.  In the spring I do an ecology unit where I am going to spend some time discussing and discovering the cryosphere with my students.  I am looking forward to adding this exciting information to the unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment